Innerpeffray Castle, Perthshire, Scotland
The earliest reference to a castle on the lands of Innerpeffray is from the late 13th century, when the estate was owned by the Earls of Strathearn. By the 15th century it was in the possession of the Mercer family, and in the 16th century it passed to the Drummonds. The present castle was built by James Drummond, first Lord Madderty, around 1610. Innerpeffray Castle is a good example of a plain Scottish house of the beginning of the seventeenth century. The castle is located near the famous Innerpeffray Library, the oldest lending library in Scotland.
More about Innerpeffray…